Women in kilts

I was told today on a kilt forum that I'd lost a sale because I was willing to make a kilt for a woman. This guy told me I was offending his Scottish heritage by offering to make a kilt for a woman who was unsatisfied with a lighter weight skirt.
The woman was quite willing to have the kilt open on the left side. She just wanted a heavier garment than the usual women's skirt.

This opens the door to who is eligible to wear a kilt? Or a particular tartan?

To the best of my knowledge, Only the British Royal Family is allowed to wear the Balmoral tartan. Other than that, any tartan is available for wear. It should be worn with respect and with some knowledge of the tartan.

But what about kilts themselves? Can we, in this day and age, state that women are not allowed to wear kilts? I hear that statement a lot. It may not be traditional for women to wear kilts but there are a lot of untraditional things happening with kilts nowadays.
Some have pockets. Some have alternate pleating styles. Some are not wool. Kilts are evolving to suit the times in which we live. There will always be a certain style of kilt for formal occasions but for everyday wear, there are a ton of choices available.
Should I sell kilts only to Scottish men? Of course not!
What if I sold kilts just to Caucasian Men? Sounds silly, doesn't it?
What if I sold kilts just to men? Equally silly!

Was I offending his Scottish heritage? I don't think so. Not intentionally, anyway.
Kilts have always evolved. From the Irish Leine and Brat to the Scottish Great kilt, to the short kilt that is today called the traditional kilt, to the alternative fabrics and styles now available, kilts have evolved to be useful and wearable.

As for telling women they aren't allowed to wear kilts, it's silly. Most women don't want or need to pay kilt prices when they can get a skirt for a tenth of the price.

Kilts are garments, not costumes!
That is my company motto. They should be worn as everyday clothing, not relegated to hanging in a closet and formal functions a few times a year. Yet, in Scotland and most other places, that's the use that kilts get.
I have not worn pants for 2.5 years. I wear my kilts as garments, just as the Scots once did.

I make and sell traditional and casual kilts. They are custom fit for the person who will wear it, man or woman. If you decide not to buy a kilt from me because I make kilts for women, that's your call. After all, it's your money; spend it where you want.
Just don't tell me I'm offending you because I won't discriminate against half the world's population.

Popular posts from this blog

Hey! New Guy!

Blog moving day