A wrinkle in fashion

There is always a lot of talk about casual kilt wear and formal kilt wear. Most people see kilt wearing as one or the other.
Traditionalists would have us wear 8 yard, knife pleated, wool kilts with all the required accessories for various events.
Casual kilt wearers toss out the rule book and wear whatever the hell they please.

I've found that no matter which of the above two choices a kilt wearer chooses, he is almost always fanatical about keeping wrinkles from his pleats.

I can see a traditionalist trying to look his best, trying to keep wrinkles from his kilt as a man in a nice suit would try to keep wrinkles from his trousers. His kilt and accessories are a statement and are often worn as a costume or uniform to a formal function. (Some of you think I dislike this. I don't object to kilts as costumes. I object to kilts as ONLY costumes. They were garments first.)
I get a chuckle out of guys wearing casual kilts, whether synthetic fabric or wool, even a cargo kilt, that are obsessed with the neatness of their pleats. These kilts are often the kilt version of a pair of jeans. People gardening in a kilt, or hiking, or playing frisbee golf, shouldn't worry about the state of their pleats. It takes away from what they are doing and lessens the fun they're having.

So let your pleats get messy once in a while. Have at least one kilt that is your slob kilt. Wear it when you're doing the laundry, or having a quick one at the local pub, or going to a football game. Let people see that kilts are more than just a perfectly pleated garment, that you can be truly casual in a kilt and not always fretting about your pleats. People see you trying to sit just right, so as not to wrinkle your pleats. They see you doing the sweep or the slide and think that kilts must be a hassle to wear.

It really is a garment! Plop yer ass in a chair and never mind the state of the pleats. Life is not neat. Wrinkles are a part of life.
If I'm doing a formal event, I'll iron my best wool kilt and try to stay neat. If I'm going casual to a fun event, the last thing I want to worry about is how I look.
If this 'I must look perfect in my kilt' trend keeps up, will we soon hear guys asking their wives, "Does this kilt make my ass look big?"

Popular posts from this blog

Blog moving day

Hey! New Guy!