Fashion Tips

For some strange reason, people seem to feel it's perfectly fine to approach a kilted guy they don't know and tell them what's wrong with the way they dress.

Now, if some woman stops me on the street and informs me my kilt pleats are stuck up in the back and my ass is being shown to the world, I'll thank her. (Whether I flip the pleats back down depends on whether I knew they were up in the first place. lol)
But if she approaches me and tells me my socks are the wrong colour, or my kilt pin is too high on my kilt, or my sneakers shouldn't be worn with my kilt, I usually give that annoyed looking smile. That almost always works.

And everyone seems to know how I should dress. I've been given fashion tips from fully clad pipers to hunched over, twitching junkies. You'd think either one of them would have something better to do with their time. I mean, while giving advice they are even more irritating than normal. Okay, maybe not the piper.
The point is, I knew what I was wearing when I left the house.
These people are trying to get me to fit into their view of what a guy in a kilt should look like.

The funny thing is, every person that has given me unsolicited fashion tips has invariably been dressed with at least one glaring fashion faux pas. Like the lady with the lime green stirrup pants. Or the guy with the orange tie and blue suit.
Even the pipers. As far as costumes go, pipers are some of the most strikingly dressed men in the world. It doesn't make them experts on kilts as daily wear garments.

That's the thing, isn't it. Nobody stops guys in pants to offer fashion tips.
They want to see guys in kilts dressed the way they want them to look. They want to see kilted guys dressed in costumes. Traditional. Scottish. Call it what you want.
I just don't happen to fit their ideals. Luckily, I have my own.

Popular posts from this blog

Hey! New Guy!

Blog moving day