Do

Standing on a somewhat crowded bus, having given my seat to a woman about my own age, I see an elderly man get on and look for a seat. There was none to be had, so he came to the middle of the bus and hung onto a pole unsteadily. His hands were shaking ... Parkinson's maybe ... and he just looked like he could fall over.
There were no young guys seated nearby. Just young women. I waited a few minutes, getting angry as the old fella got shook around by the stops and starts, then almost fell as the bus stopped quickly.
Enough. I had to say something.
"Any one of you so called ladies want to give this gentleman your seat?"
And they all looked away ... out the windows.
I couldn't fucking believe it!
And the old fella waved, as if to say, "Don't make a fuss. I'll be all right."
"So much for equality." I said.
Then, bless her golden heart, the woman driver of the bus announced, "This bus isn't moving until that gentleman gets a seat."
Nobody moved and the silence got awkward.
"I will sit here all day long!"
After a few more awkward moments, a woman near the front of the bus, about twenty-five, stood up angrily and said, "Oh fine! Take my seat!"
The old gentleman patted my arm as he shuffled off to sit.

Now at the end of my day, I think about that pat on the arm.
Anyone who knows me knows I'm no saint. I know lots of better human beings than myself. I know people that ride to cure cancer, walk to cure cancer, rescue dogs and find good homes for them. Some friends volunteer at hospitals, or work there as nurses.
I helped an old guy get a seat on the bus.
Why did I speak up? Why didn't I just shake my head like the rest of the people on that bus?
Those friends and relatives I listed above ... and many more ... you inspire me.
You're not simply volunteering your time; you're making the world a better place by showing the rest of us how to care for each other.
Dave Cannell, a customer, a friend, and a kilt wearing member of Clan MacBitseach is riding to cure cancer. He does this every year and I'm proud of him. He’s a great example of what a man in a kilt should be!
His goal is $2500 and he's sitting about $1500.
Do what's right. Do what you can. I promise you, the pat on the arm is worth it!
http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/cannell2012

Popular posts from this blog

Hey! New Guy!

Well, that's embarrassing!

Blog moving day