Right-Brain Kilts

Picture a holographic kilt floating in mid-air, rotating.
Now imagine you can see every stitch, every pleat, inside and out, every technique of kiltmaking used in its construction.

When I took Fine Art in college, I used to be able to see my sculptures from all sides at once and know every detail of them and know what had to be changed to get the sculpture just right. Very right brain.

I can feel myself getting that way with kilts. It's taken me two years of daily kiltmaking, learning as I went, getting some tips along the way, but always getting better at seeing the big picture.

I've been exercising my right brain lately. Things as simple as looking at things on the bus to work, trying to see just the shadows they create.

A kilt is a flat piece of fabric constructed to match a roundish shape. This can be done with kiltmaking techniques learned from books by just about anyone with the time to spare. Once you learn the tricks, magic always looks easy.

I'm on the verge of a new kilt design. I can feel it sitting there in idea-space, waiting to come through. It has something to do with shaping flat things to round but that's as much as I know. It will be instantly recognisable as a kilt but there will be a difference.

Dang! It's like having a word on the tip of your tongue, except I have to be in the perfect frame of mind to get the word. A right-brained frame of mind.

I'm entering the art world again, this time with kilts instead of clay. For me, it always goes back to the creativity, the way of seeing something in its simplest form. My Classic Cut is a very clean and simple design. But I sense something simpler about to reveal itself to me.

In the meantime, I'm making kilts and cultivating right-brain thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

Hey! New Guy!

Blog moving day

Well, that's embarrassing!