Natural Born Kilters

A guy and his gal walk up to the Bear Kilts booth at the BC Scottish Highland Games. Good looking couple. I'd seen the guy standing in the beer tent a while ago and was struck by the way he stood in his kilt. He had his weight on one leg, hands on hips, like a portrait of a clan chief. He had sort of a Ewan MacGregor ease about him.
He was wearing a cheesecloth, collarless, kilt shirt; the lace up kind, and a kilt, sporran, etc.
When he got to the booth I asked him, "You wear your kilt more than a couple of times a year for special occasions, don't you?"
"Aye, I do." he answered with an authentic Scottish brogue. "I wear it a few times a week."
"I could actually tell you did by the way you walk in it. You don't seem self conscious, or walking like you're trying to look good in your kilt. You just seem very natural in it."
We talked about kilts for a while and he went on his way but seeing him was one of the highlights of the games for me. People who have seen me while driving by have told me I look natural walking down the street in my kilt.
This guy looked more natural than all the other guys in kilts at the games.
There's a point when wearing a kilt becomes a non-event for the wearer, when courage isn't needed because you've worn it so much.
You've realised that it isn't wearing the kilt that makes you special, it's being special that allows you to wear the kilt.
I can spot those rare guys in a field full of kilted guys.
And they smile a lot.

Popular posts from this blog

Hey! New Guy!

Blog moving day