Kilts Make You Stronger

Kilted MacBitseach
I get asked all the time, "Aren't you cold in that thing?"
Honestly, I don't get cold in a kilt, even at temps of -15°, unless my jacket isn't heavy enough.
Considering this today, I've come up with a few thoughts.
Neitze wrote, "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."
(I know it's true because I saw it at the beginning of the movie, Conan The Barbarian.)
Thisquote is the beginning of all exercise theories. To improve thebody, it must be injured enough to need to heal stronger. This works for cardio exercises that strengthen the heart, or weightlifting, which strengthens the muscles. (Generally speaking, of course.)
Having worn a kilt for two years, and shorts for several years before that, my legs do not feel cold unless they get wet in freezing temps. Then I pull up my socks and they warm up my legs.
People who have never worn a kilt, men and women, don't understand how well kilts insulate. Take 8 yards of any 12oz fabric, wrap it around your mid-section,and you'll be warm. Take 8 yards of 12oz to 16oz wool and you'll be toasty.(That's the reason the kilt was worn in Scotland!)
I find walking in cold temps while wearing my kilt to be invigorating and good for the constitution. I sometimes put on a 4 yard kilt just to keep from overheating and to better feel the chill in the air.
Do I sometimes get chilled? Yes.
Do I sometimes wish I'd worn a heavier kilt? Yes.
Do I sometimes wish I was wearing pants? No. Pants are poor insulators. Even a 4 yard kilt is warmer than pants.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger," is more than a life or death notion. Let's take Neitze's idea to more mundane levels.
Write with a pen and you'll get that writing callous on your finger.
Play the guitar and your fingertips will toughen up.
Do knuckle push-ups to strengthen your fist.
Lift weights to get stronger muscles.
Run around the block to increase your stamina.
Wear a kilt to inure yourself against cold.
Any repetitive task you do changes your body in some way for better or worse. That includes the career you have chosen.
Enough of philosophy for now. Next time; physics, and maybe some math.

Popular posts from this blog

Hey! New Guy!

Blog moving day