Golden Girl

For me, the Summer Olympics has always been about the combat sports. Decathlon, pentathlon, wrestling, fencing, etc.
The Olympics haven’t been good to Canada so far but as I write this, Carol Huynh just won a Gold in Wrestling.

Carol’s parents came to Hazelton, B.C. from a refugee camp on a church sponsorship. She was the first born Canadian child of her Vietnamese parents.
Hazelton really stepped up in their support of Carol, doing car washes, and many other fund raisers to get her the training she needed to win gold. Well done Hazelton!

I watched with blurry eyed pride as Carol cried in joy and sang Oh Canada on the podium.

That’s what Canada is all about, isn’t it? The first Canadian born child of immigrants wins a gold medal and bursts into tears in Canadian pride.

I tried to go to Carol’s web site but it crashed my web browser. Then I tried to go to the CBC page about Carol. Another crash. Ya think Canada is proud?

I think we may have broken more Canadian records and personal bests in this Olympics than any other Olympics but have won very few medals. Armstrong lost the bronze in the shot put by 1 centimetre! Yes! 1 centimetre!

As I write this, Tanya Verbeek just won a Bronze medal in wrestling! Nice!

Our first medal was also today. A silver in double sculls. Well done lads!

Canada is not an Olympic powerhouse and may never be, but the few medals we win are treasures.

What does all this have to do with kilts?

SFA!

Kilts are garments, not Olympic medals!

Popular posts from this blog

Hey! New Guy!

Well, that's embarrassing!

The Bear