A Good Sign

Here's a good sign that we might see more kilts being worn by guys in the near future.

I attended Toddish McWong's Gung Haggis Fat Choy this year. It's a fusion of Robbie Burns Day and Chinese New Year, with some interesting food fusions, like haggis won ton. There was about 500 people there, including some politicians and our kilted Mayor, Larry Campbell.
It was a fun night, with lots of entertainment ranging from opera to rap, bagpipes to classical violin, often all at once.
I was quite interested in two brothers who are world class highland dancers. It was a treat to see dancers of their quality in person.
All of which is prelude to the good sign.

I'm on the bus home, sitting on one of the single seats on the left side. At one stop a group gets on and a young guy stops and looks at me. He's a clean cut, athletic, guy.
"I like your kilt," he says.
I nod back, "Thanks." and he sits in the empty seat behind me.
"I've got a kilt, too," he says.
I turn.
"But you're not wearing it."
"No. I'm only allowed to wear it when I dance, so it doesn't get dirty. I'm a highland dancer."
Click! I remembered.
"I saw you dance at Gung Haggis Fat Choy."
"Yeah! That was a weird night."
"You guys are good!"
"Thanks. I'm just going to the Scottish Cultural Centre for a practice. Is there a reason you're wearing your kilt?"
"I always wear a kilt. I'm a kiltmaker."
"Excellent! How much do they cost?"
"They start at one-fifty for the machine washable ones."
Then we spoke at the same time. "Let me give you a card." "Have you got a business card?"
I gave him one and we spoke about grad kilts and school and general kilt talk until I got off at my stop.
"Where's the good sign," you ask?
Here's a guy who never thought of kilts as anything but a costume wanting one to wear every day. A young guy, immersed in the whole Scottish culture aspect, where most of the world's kilts are stuffed in closets, wanting to wear a kilt every day, as a garment.
That's a good sign.

I want to add that I was very impressed with this young man. He's a world class highland dancer and attends UBC at age 16. He's smart, talented, dedicated, speaks clearly and to the point, and confident.

Popular posts from this blog

Hey! New Guy!

Blog moving day