Habits

Habits.
Everybody's got them. I think they're part of a survival mechanism from our more primitive past. Good habits have been passed on to us survivors of our primitive ancestors. Bad habits didn't survive long enough to be passed on.
There are clothing habits other than those belonging to nuns.
You see some guys in suits always straightening their ties; checking the knot, making sure it's lying flat on the shirt, inside the jacket, adjusting the tie clip, etc.
When I wore pants or shorts, I often had my hands in my pockets.
In pants, I hated it when the cuff lay in the back of my sneaker or under the tongue of my sneaker. I disliked bulges in pockets or having one side weighted down more than the other.
Kilt habits are developed as pants habits are lost. When I switched to kilts full time, it took me a while to stop trying to put my hands in my pants pockets. I'd often cover the move with an apron smoothing motion. Now I usually hook my thumbs in my belt.
In pants, you flop anywhere, legs splayed wide, no worries about anyone seeing anything hidden. You sit differently in a kilt. Partly to keep things hidden and partly to keep the pleats arranged properly.
Even tying a shoelace is something to think about. Do you put your foot on a chair and tie it? Which way to face so nobody gets a peek? Do you go on one knee? is there anyone with a lower vantage point?
All these things become routine as you become an experienced kilt wearer; habits. You don't think about them any more than a guy in pants thinks about having his zipper unzipped. Zipping up is a habit.
Tying your shoe discreetly is a habit.
Not standing against a wall on windy days is a habit.
Holding your sporran down when jumping down from heights of a few feet is a habit.
Casually dropping your hands to your sides when you feel the wind lifting your kilt is a habit.
There are not more habits when wearing a kilt as opposed to wearing pants. They are just different habits.
Very quickly they become unconscious habits. I think it's harder to get rid of the pants habits than it is to adjust to the new kilts habits.
Sometimes, usually after a few Guinnesses, I find myself checking if my zipper is up when leaving the men's room.
I haven't worn pants for over two years!

Popular posts from this blog

Hey! New Guy!

Blog moving day