It's Cold

It's cold.
I know it's cold because I see people with heavy jackets zipped all the way up, hats pulled low over the ears, and scarves wrapped around their faces. I see them shivering at the bus stop, or walking hunched into the wind. They sneeze, cough, sniffle, and moan a lot.
I see them looking at me like I'm stark raving mad to be strolling down the street in a kilt with my socks pushed down to the tops of my boots and my jacket half undone.
Sure, I feel the wind on my legs, the occasional gust up the pleats that open the eyes a little wider, but rather than making me cold, I find it invigorating.
I'm a man in a kilt and I'm used to it.
A Scotsman once said on a kilt forum that when he saw a distant man in a kilt walking in the hills on a windy day, he thought the guy was hard. (He meant tough! Unless the guy was a real hero, how could he possibly tell from that distance?)
The simple act of wearing a kilt hardens a man to the elements. It takes away a barrier with which many people struggle. Some won't even go to the store because it's raining, or snowing, or it's cold, or windy.
(I've always loved windy days. Now more so!)
I like to see that wide-eyed look, barely visible between the cap and the scarf, the look that says, "You're hard!"
When you get right down to it, it's just natural. Until very recently, humans have been used to the elements. They accepted the elements.
Men in kilts are not supermen. We're just accustomed to nature.
Anyone else find it odd that behaving naturally is considered abnormal?

Popular posts from this blog

Hey! New Guy!

Blog moving day